Monday, April 26, 2010

"It's storytime!"

Daily Rhythm. The Lark was really in synch with our rhythm today. (I call it a rhythm rather than a schedule because there are no set times--everything just takes as long as it takes--and the items on it are very general. The idea (which I got from Enki Education) is that there should be enough structure to make everyone feel secure and confident, but plenty of flexibility as well.) Anyway, the Lark was one step ahead of me all morning, eagerly anticipating the next activity. It was not a rushed or anxious anticipation (which he sometimes experiences), but a confident, happy anticipation. For example, we had a nice snack together. We chopped up a mango and a banana. The Lark playfully fed me my banana bit by bit, while I pretended to be a baby bird. We cleaned up after ourselves in a leisurely way. But as soon as we were done, the Lark went running down to the basement. I called after him, "Where are you going?" And he called up cheerfully, "It's storytime!" The funny thing is, he usually doesn't particularly like storytime. He was just enjoying being in the groove and knowing what was coming next.

Narrative Thinking. Storytime went really well today. We played "How Would You Feel?" I described a scenario where the Lark brought a cookie to school for snack, and one of his classmates grabbd it away and ate it. I asked, "how would you feel?" and the Lark said, "mad!" in a growly tiger voice. It was very cute, and also really positive that he was so animated about something we were just pretending. He also did better than ever at retelling and acting out our frog story (which were still working on).

Body Mapping and Body Integration. We introduced deep knee bends into our exercise routine, and the Lark simply cannot do them. He cannot squat down and stand up again. That's okay. We're just going to do it once each day until he gets the hang of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am the Lark's mom and the director of the Gray School. It is my goal to help the Lark become an active and self-directed particpant in his culture and community.