Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Body Mapping

The Lark has found his hips! As I wrote in the last post, the Lark had been having trouble moving his hips from side to side. When he tried to imitate me shaking my hips, he would move his head or his torso from side to side. So for the past two days we've incorporated hip shaking into our movement work. I chose some music with a really slow beat, raised my arms in the air, and spotligted my hips. After a few tries, the Lark got it. Today we did it to faster music, and we varied it by doing a double "shake" on each side. The Lark really seemed to enjoy this new dance!

Mindfulness/Focus: The Lark has been doing really well with the piano. We're learning all the pentascales, one by one. We address many goals when we practice piano.

Imitation. We're not using a book right now. Instead, the Lark has to what I do. Coordination. Once he learns a new scale, we play it together. He has to coordiante his actions with mine to match my tempo.
Mindfulness/Focus: He has to remember the scales and he has to overcome the impulse to use any old fingers, and use the correct fingers instead. This is difficult for him, but he's doing very well.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! So proud of you. Only had a minute to read it so far but will certainly keep an eye on you guys. Very cool!!!! :) Corinne

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am the Lark's mom and the director of the Gray School. It is my goal to help the Lark become an active and self-directed particpant in his culture and community.