Friday, May 21, 2010

Story Time

Today during story time we read some Shel Silverstein poems. (Paula suggested we try Shel Silverstein, and it was a great suggestion. The Lark really enjoys some of his poems and drawings.) Anyway, after we were done with that, the Lark said, "Let's tell a Box Toot Toot Video Broken story" (or something like that). Maybe he noticed that we hadn't actually had a story (or maybe he was just thinking about breaking videos). I said, "Okay, how should we start?" And he said, "Once upon a time, there was...." He didn't know how to continue, so I said, "What was there?" And he said, "A box." Then I said, "Okay, once upon a time, there was a box, and...?" And he said, "It was a Toot Toot box." And on we went. I had to provide lots of support, but the Lark told his own story--and it really was a story--about how he broke a video and then it didn't work so we had to throw it in the trash. This was such a triumph for me! Narrative thinking is one of our most important goals, since it is really the most basic way we understand the world. And the Lark actually managed to tell his own story today.

1 comment:

  1. I love this story. in fact, I love all your posts, Pharoah's fury is a really good one, too

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am the Lark's mom and the director of the Gray School. It is my goal to help the Lark become an active and self-directed particpant in his culture and community.