Friday, May 7, 2010

Puzzles

The Lark has suddenly become interested in doing jigsaw puzzles. He even brings them to me and asks me to "play" them with him. He's also happy to do them when I suggest it. I'm not sure what to attribute this development to, but I'm hoping it's a sign that our narrative thinking activities are bearing fruit. In the narrative thinking activities, we work on being able to integrate several different pieces of information into a coherent whole. When we do a puzzle, we take separate bits of information--shape, color, picture details--and hold them in mind together while we decide where to put each piece. We also have to hold in mind what our goal is and where we are with respect to that goal.

In any case, it's fun to be able to do a more organized activity with the Lark, and one that moves a bit beyond his private little set of interests.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am the Lark's mom and the director of the Gray School. It is my goal to help the Lark become an active and self-directed particpant in his culture and community.